Faculty Senate update
Meeting addresses support for students with autism spectrum disorder, graduate studies and committee openings.
September 11, 2019
It was an unusually light agenda for the Sept. 4 Metropolitan State University of Denver Faculty Senate meeting.
Items of business included:
- Siva Santhanam, Ph.D. (SLHS), addressed the Senate to discuss the Integrated Support for Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders in College program coordinated out of the Speech, Languages, Hearing Sciences Department; a yearlong faculty learning community is underway for those who’d like to learn more about direct and indirect
- Tammi Vacha-Hasse, Ph.D., dean of the Graduate College at Boise State University and president of the Western Association of Graduate Schools, stopped by as a guest of the Senate. She has been assisting MSU Denver’s Office of Graduate Studies with processes and policies, including graduate catalog
- A proposed bylaw change to appoint a Faculty Senate Executive Committee seat to the Graduate Council had a second reading and was approved in a subsequent
- Cynthia Erickson, D. (Psychological Sciences) volunteered as Learning Management System RFP chair to explore potential alternatives to Blackboard.
- Several committees are still looking for participants; those interested should email Faculty Senate President Katia Campbell, Ph.D., or Maggie Thulson, assistant to the vice provost for faculty affairs. Specific representative openings solicited were:
- Physical Sciences – student affairs, instructional resources and rules
- Social Sciences – curriculum, instructional resources, multicultural and rules
- Arts and Humanities – budget; diversity; student affairs; reappointment, tenure and promotion; and rules
- General Studies and Budget Committees also have at-large seats
The next Faculty Senate meeting is scheduled for Sept. 18 at 3:20 p.m. in Tivoli 320.
Topics: Faculty SenateEdit this page