Tips for online safety at work
This National Cyber Security Awareness Month, learn how you can avoid cyberthreats.
October 22, 2018
Metropolitan State University of Denver’s Information Technology Services team has implemented a number of new tools and approaches to keep campus users and information safe. In honor of National Cyber Security Awareness Month, here are more user-friendly tips to ensure that MSU Denver is well-protected against cyberpredators.
While ITS works behind the scenes to keep the system defenses strong, it’s also important for faculty and staff to take measures to prevent attacks. All departments, but especially those that work with sensitive data or information, are encouraged to work with ITS to:
- Conduct an inventory of valuable assets, such as employee or payment data.
- Assess what protective measures you need in place – such as keeping software up to date.
- Familiarize yourself and fellow faculty and staff with the ITS-recommended process for reporting a cybersecurity-related incident.
- Research what to do after a potential incident or breach, including assessing any legal obligations.
- Check out the latest NCSAM infographic for user-friendly tips.
- How to prevent your data from getting leaked
- File sharing in the cloud
- How to avoid voice phishing scams
If you have questions about cybersecurity and keeping data safe, contact the ITS Helpdesk at 303-352-7548 or support.msudenver.edu.