Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Disclaimer**The conduct process depends on numerous variables. These questions and answers are generic and do not answer for every situation. If you require further clarification, please contact the Dean of Students Office.

I am concerned that I might accidentally plagiarize, how can I avoid this?

Plagiarism or misuse of resources is a challenge. All students are expected to uphold the integrity of their work. First, check with your instructor to ensure the format style they are requiring (APA, MLA, Chicago to name a few). You can follow examples provided within our website, see student resources. Additionally, MSU Denver has an exceptional Writing Center where they provide free tutoring sessions and walk you through the paper-writing process.

I believe a classmate is cheating, what should I do?

We believe as community members, it is essential to report any Academic Violations. We encourage you to notify your instructor and file an Academic Integrity Incident Report with your contact information. Student reporters can be kept confidential within reason, a staff member can discuss the specifics with you.

If I have been found responsible for cheating or plagiarism by my instructor, what will happen next?

In cases of Academic Misconduct, the decision of responsibility and grade sanction falls with the instructor. The instructor should then file a report with the Student Conduct in the Dean of Students Office. Depending on the incident, Student Conduct will notify the student of the next step. Typically, the next steps are a meeting with the Student Conduct Officer and/or a written warning on file.

I disagree with my instructor’s finding of responsibility, is there any recourse?

If you disagree with your instructor’s decision, you may file a Grade Appeal at the end of the semester. You are welcome to contact the Student Conduct Officer for assistance in this process.

My instructor assigned a “Permanent F” as my grade sanction, what does that mean?

A “Permanent F” is like it sounds, a permanent F. As you may know, MSU Denver practices a “Last Grade Stands” policy, which allows a student to re-take a course to improve their grade and eliminate the lesser grade. The “Permanent F” will always remain on your transcript and in your overall GPA even if you retake the course. With that said, you may retake the course if you need the credit, however you will have two grades for the course, the “F” and the new score.

What kind of sanctions can I expect from Student Conduct?

The instructor determines any grade consequences, whereas the Student Conduct process has two types of sanctions.  The first, known as status sanction, include warning, probation, suspension, and expulsion.  It is highly unlikely to be suspended or expelled for a first academic misconduct violation.  The second type of sanctions are called educational sanctions and include items such as a reflection paper, meeting with the writing center, and more. 

How do I appeal the sanctions from Student Conduct?

If you wish to appeal the finding of responsibility, as noted earlier, you do that through the  policy.  If you wish to appeal the sanctions given from the Student Conduct Officer, you would appeal that through the Student Conduct Appeal Process.

Am I allowed to bring an advisor to my meeting with the Student Conduct Officer?

Yes, you are welcome to bring an advisor or supporter. Please notify the office ahead of time.

Edit this page