Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions About DACA and ASSET Programs

This document is meant to provide further guidance and support to our students and staff. Responses to the below questions are informational only and do not constitute legal advice. Links to local and national immigration resources and MSU Denver services are incorporated in the appropriate responses.

1.  As an undocumented student, how will a potential change to the DACA program affect my tuition status at MSU Denver?

It will not. Senate Bill 13-033 (ASSET) is Colorado state law. ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economic Tomorrow) allows U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) and undocumented students to qualify for in-state tuition in the state of Colorado under certain conditions: Students who are eligible for in-state tuition and Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) can continue to enroll in this program. Please go to the . 


2.  Will undocumented students continue to have access to the same institutional student aid and private donor scholarships?

Yes. Although undocumented students do not have access to federal financial aid, all MSU Denver students, including ASSET or undocumented students, do have access to institutional aid and private donor scholarships if they meet eligibility requirements. As an alternative to completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), MSU Denver students who are undocumented may complete the DAIA (Dreamer Application for Institutional Aid). Please go to the MSU Denver Office of Financial Aid for information:


3.   Will MSU Denver share students’ immigration status with federal immigration officials?

MSU Denver, or the City of Denver, will not release or share student information with federal officials unless required to do so by court order. It violates federal law (FERPA) to share such information without the student's consent unless a court order is presented. 


4.   What should I do if I feel I have been the victim of discrimination or harassment?

As MSU's President Dr. Janine Davidson has publicly stated, "The United States has always been a nation of immigrants, and we are better for it. As a university that wholeheartedly embraces diversity, we know that our differences make us stronger. That’s why we continue to support those who come to this country to change their lives." (June 26, 2018)

If you feel you are experiencing discrimination or harassment on campus, you may schedule a meeting with a member of the Office of Equal Opportunity (EO) team to discuss concerns, rights, and how to file complaints. For more information, go to 

If you have witnessed or experienced an act of violence, contact the Auraria Police Department at 303-556-5000 or 911. You can also file a non-emergency report here:


5.   What other support services are available on campus to students experiencing depression or post-election concerns or anxiety?

MSU Denver provides numerous support services for our students and staff, including counseling, advocacy and other supports. For more information, please see the attached Campus Resources.


6.   As an undocumented student, why should I stay in school?

MSU Denver wants you here and will support you through degree completion. You are an important resource to our institution and to communities across the Denver metropolitan area. While none of us yet know what immigration, employment or other policies will emerge from the Trump administration, you need to know that a college degree holds value throughout the world. Finish your degree with us and allow us to serve as your advocate today and as you prepare for your future career.


7.   What should I do if I want to understand my immigration rights?

Only immigration attorneys can provide you with accurate advice about your immigration status and how you can pursue your legal rights. Along with links to national resources provided above, for a list of available local resources, please see the attached Colorado Immigration Resources. Also, you can seek an immigration attorney from the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) at (English) or (Spanish). Additional information and resources are also available here:

·      National Immigrant Law Center:

·      United We Dream:

·      Immigrant Legal Resource Center:

·      Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition: 


8.   Where can I learn more about my rights as an immigrant in the U.S.?

Besides the resources listed under number 7, please refer to information on the Immigrant Services website, here. (Scroll down to "Know Your Rights flyer/video".)


Edit this page