Find your creative future!
*New Dates* Monday - Fridays 1-5 pm • July 13 - August 7, 2020 (4 weeks) • Online Exhibition Opening Friday, September 4, 2020
The Art + Action Lab Teen Internship is a paid internship where high school students get an inside look at many different careers in the arts while working one on one with creative mentors to develop their individual art practice.
Interns will hear from guest artists and go on field trips to museums, art galleries and creative workspaces to discover the inner workings of the arts industry. The internship offers many opportunities to meet with various professionals to gain valuable insight into different creative career paths. Emphasis is placed on networking and how to develop professional relationships that will help bring interns closer to their creative futures.
Interns will also work with creative mentors from various disciplines including studio art, graphic design, fashion design, industrial design, art history, performance and arts administration to develop an individual art project that address personally significant issues and interests. Mentors will provide focused and tailored support, sharing tips, techniques and ideas to help each intern grow creatively and professionally.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Gain hands-on experience with a professional creative process.
- Practice creative problem solving and learn how to leverage creative skills in a professional setting.
- Meet guest artists, go on field trips to meet creative professionals and get behind-the-scenes access to learn about diverse creative careers.
- Network with creative professionals and build community with creative peers.
- Build relationships with local artists, arts institutions and workspaces.
- Work with creative mentors to develop an individual creative project to be shown in an online exhibition during the month of September, 2020.
Who Should Apply: High school students in grades 9-12 interested in creative careers who want to build connections with a creative community of peers and professionals. Applicants must be able to dedicate time to fully participate in the 4-week program.
Application Requirements: Application, Meet and Greet, Individual Interview
Stipend: Interns will earn a $300 stipend upon full participation in the program.
Important Dates *Updated*:
- Application Opens: March 16, 2020
- Application Deadline: April 29, 2020. Midnight
- Meet & Greet for Applicants: May 4, 2020
- Applicant Interviews: Tuesday, May 5 - Friday, May 8
- Applicant Notifications: May 12, 2020
- Start Day: July 13, 2020
- Program Dates: Monday - Fridays 1-5 pm • July 13 - August 7, 2020
- Online Exhibition Opens: Friday, September 4, 2020
Who can apply? Students currently enrolled in grades 9-12 for the 2019-2020 academic year may apply.
Who should apply? Ideal candidates are teens who are engaged, curious, collaborative and are interested in exploring what they want to do with their future. An interest in the arts or creative fields is strongly encouraged.
Do I need to be an artist to apply? No! Any teen who is interested in broadly exploring the arts is encouraged to apply. Acceptance decisions are not based on artistic experience or ability and portfolios/work samples are not required.
Is there an application fee? No! It is free to apply. The online application takes 10-20 minutes to complete.
When will I know if I was accepted into the internship? All applicants will be notified May 12, 2020. Applicants will be notified by the Education Manager via email.