Calls for Entry
A selection of opportunities for artists and MSU Denver students to share their art work at CVA and beyond. All open calls listed below.
Otten + Johnson 2019 Seasonal Art Competition | Call for Entry
Entry Deadline: October 18, 2019, via email
Otten Johnson, in partnership with the Center for Visual Art, MSU Denver, is placing a call for entry for original art that reflects the holiday season in Denver. This call for entry is open to current full- and half-time students of Metropolitan State University of Denver. Up to five works will be selected for exhibition at Otten Johnson’s Holiday Celebration on November 19, 2019; where one work will be selected for inclusion in Otten Johnson’s seasonal e-Card. Additionally, the winner whose work is selected for inclusion in the e-Card will receive a cash award of $2,500.
This call is open to all current full- and half-time students of Metropolitan State University of Denver in any degree program.
For the past 5 years, Otten Johnson has partnered with artists and designers creating opportunities to showcase their talent to the firm’s stakeholders and community. Each holiday season, Otten Johnson works develops a creative, fun digital e-Card featuring work that celebrates the holiday season and our unique and vibrant Denver community. Artists are invited to submit up to three works that reflect the holiday season in Denver.
- Artists may submit up to three works. Additional entries will not be accepted.
- 2D, 3D and 4D works in any media are accepted, however, artists should bear in mind that the work should photograph well for optimal presentation in the digital e-Card. Art must represent optimally on a digital e-card for successful consideration.
Submissions must include:
- One professional quality, high resolution image of each work in .jpg format with a resolution of 300ppi (either landscape or portrait image orientations are acceptable, but must fit 1280x720 or 720.1280 frame) must be submitted by October 18, 2019 by 12:00 midnight MST. Do not submit more than one photo for each work. Label each image with the last name of the artist and name title of work. Printed photographs, drawings, slides or original work will not be accepted.
- One-page artist statement (PDF) must accompany the submission.
- PDF with the following information:
- Phone Number
- MSU Denver 900#
- Degree Program & Expected Graduation Date
- Title of work
- Material(s) of work
- Date of work completion
- Dimensions (in feet or inches: H x W x D)
- Value of work
Incorrect, incomplete, late or lost applications are not accepted. Submission constitutes agreement to the rules and details as published in this call of entry. All entrants will be notified of the results of the selection process. Please do not contact the office of Otten Johnson or the Center for Visual Art, MSU Denver about the status of your application.
All work must meet the following criteria to be eligible for consideration.
- Work must approach the holiday theme from an inclusive, secular perspective. Religious, non-secular themed work will not be considered.
- Work must have been completed within the last five years (2014 or later).
- Work may not have been previously or currently licensed for private, commercial or exclusive use by any entity or individual.
- Work must be in good condition and maintenance free for the duration of the exhibition of November 19.
- Only entries that have been completed are eligible. If a selected work is found to be incomplete, it will be disqualified.
Works will be selected based on the quality and strength of work and the ability of the work to meet selection criteria.
Each entry will be reviewed by a panel of Otten Johnsen staff. Staff will each vote for up to five works to be included in the exhibition at Otten Johnson’s Holiday Celebration. The top five works that receive the most votes will be selected for exhibition and the selected artists will be notified. All selected artists will receive an invitation to the Otten Johnson Holiday Celebration. Selected artists will exhibit their work at Otten Johnson’s Holiday Celebration where guests will be invited to vote for one winning work to be included in Otten Johnson’s holiday ecard. The winner whose work is selected for inclusion in the e-Card will also receive a $2,500 cash award.
Selection of work is at the sole discretion of Otten Johnson and may not be appealed.
$2,500 cash prize upon conclusion of exhibition and delivery of professional quality, high resolution image of selected work. The cash award gives Otten Johnson the right to use the digital reproduction of the image in perpetuity. The artist retains the copyright and the original artwork.
HOW TO APPLY
Email all call materials to Heather Baker at email@example.com (no phone calls, please). Please use the subject line: "Otten Johnson 2019 Seasonal Art Competition Entry".