The Assignments tool on Canvas allows you to share assignment materials with your students and provides an easy place for them to turn in their assignments. You can attach files of any kind that students may need to complete their assignments including powerpoints with notes, word documents with instructions, worksheets, pdf readings and more. Once your students have uploaded their submissions to the assignment on Canvas, you can easily grade it from the Canvas Grades tool.
- Click Syllabus & Course Info on the course menu to the left
- Click Assessments
- Click Assignment
- Type a name for the Assignment
- Enter instructions or the message “See attached information” in the Instructions box
- Click Browse My Computer under the Assignment Files section of the page
- Attach any files the students will need to complete the assignment
- Select the check box next to Due Date
- Type a date or use the calendar button to the right of the text box
- Type a time or use the clock button to choose the time the assignment will be due on the given date
- Type the points the assignment is worth
- Click Submit
Canvas Assignments allow you to provide assignment instructions and materials to your students. Also, students can upload digital submissions directly to the Assignment. Instructors are then able to grade the assignment submissions from within Canvas. There are endless possible assignments you could create; consider asking students to annotate a reading, complete a virtual lab, record a video response, create a media piece or instructional material, write a paper, design a portfolio artifact, and more!
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas account.
- Select the course you’d like to work in.
- Click Assignments on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Click the blue +Assignment button.
- Type a title for your assignment in the Assignment Name box.
- Type instructions and additional information in the second, larger box.
- Note: You can also add links, images, videos, and other resources in this section. To learn more, view the “Use the Rich Content Editor” or the “Create an Assignment with Files Attached” tutorial.
- Points: Set the total number of points the assignment is worth.
- Assignment Group: Select an assignment group to put the assignment in (see the “Create Assignment Groups” tutorial for more information).
- Display Grade As: Choose how to display the grade to students: points, a percentage, or another metric.
- Submission Type: Choose what types of assignment submission will be accepted.
- Submission Attempts: Choose the number of assignment submissions students are allowed to make: unlimited, or limited to a certain number.
- Group Assignment: Decide whether it is a group or individual assignment (see the “Create a Group Assignment” tutorial for more information).
- Peer Review: Choose whether students will peer review each other’s work (see the “Assign Peer Reviews for Assignments” tutorial for more information).
- Assign: Set due dates and availability dates (see the “Create a Group Assignment,” “Create an Assignment with a Due Date,” and “Create an Assignment with Limited Availability” tutorials for more information).