Skip to main content Skip to main content

Advising FAQ's

Question 1: How do I prepare for an advising appointment?

New students should ensure that they have submitted their official ACT/SAT scores or have completed any required accuplacer testing before meeting with an advisor.  Transfer students should ensure all transcripts from previously attended colleges have been sent to MSU Denver for official evaluation or preliminary evaluated by Transfer Services in Student Success Building 180 before meeting with an advisor. In addition, before a student can register, they must also ensure they have completed their New Student Orientation requirement for the university. It is recommended that students complete their orientation requirement before meeting with an advisor.

It is also recommended that students clear all registration holds before meeting with an advisor.  Students can view their holds by logging into their Student Hub account, and click on the "View Holds" under the student records link. 

Question 2: What is a degree catalog?

With the exception of the General Studies program, students must use a single, MSU Denver catalog to meet all degree requirements, including major and minor requirements.  Students must select a degree catalog in effect while they are enrolled at MSU Denver unless they are transferring from a regionally accredited, Colorado community college (see below), provided that the degree catalog contains their complete program of study. Students not enrolled in classes for three consecutive semesters or more, including summer, are governed by the catalog in effect upon their return. For effective dates of catalogs, students should consult their academic advisors. All degree programs must adhere to current, overriding policies at MSU Denver. Students transferring from a regionally accredited, Colorado community college may complete degree requirements using a MSU Denver catalog in effect while enrolled at the community college, subject to the following conditions:

  • The degree catalog selected does not predate the current catalog by more than three years.
  • The degree catalog selected may have been in use at any time from the time the student was continually enrolled at a regionally accredited, Colorado community college to the semester for which the student is enrolling in MSU Denver. Continuous enrollment is defined as not interrupting enrollment for three or more consecutive semesters (one academic calendar-year) including the summer semester.  Continuous enrollment must be maintained from the period of the designated MSU Denver catalog to degree completion at MSU Denver.
  • The degree catalog clause applies, except for overriding college or state policy, except where specific programs otherwise require. Consult the pages describing your program for these requirements.

Question 3: Can I change my degree catalog?

Yes, you can change your degree catalog year to any year since you've been admitted to the university without being readmitted to the university.  It is best you seek advising from a faculty advisor in your major and minor department if you are thinking about changing your degree catalog year. You cannot use different catalog years for your major and minor.

Question 4: How do I declare my major or minor?

Complete the declaration of major/minor form and take it to your major and/or minor departments for signatures.

Question 5: How do I find the list of approved general studies?

All approved general studies courses can be found in the university catalog.  Be sure you select your correct catalog year and on the left side of the catalog will be options for selecting general studies requirements.

Question 6: How many credits does it take it earn a bachelor's degree?

A minimum of 120 semester hours.  Double check with your major department for credits required for graduation.

Question 7: What are upper-division hours?

Upper-division courses are 3000 & 4000 level courses.  Student must complete at least 40-credits of upper-division for graduation.

Question 8: Where can I find the basic requirements for graduation?

The online university catalog contains basic information for graduating with a bachelor's degree (you need to click on your catalog year to find your degree requirements).

Question 9: What is a CAPP report?

The CAPP system produces a Compliance Report, an advising tool that should be used by students and their advisors throughout the student’s academic career at MSU Denver. Students with declared majors and/or minors should discuss their progress toward completion of their program with their faculty advisor. Students are encouraged to review their CAPP progress after completion of their first term at the university to ensure that they are on track towards degree requirements. Prior to applying for graduation, students should have a CAPP Compliance Report review with a faculty advisor no later than the start of their senior year.  CAPP Compliance Reports can be printed in the student’s major department or logging in to the your "Degree Progress Report" through the Student Hub.  Departments approving adjustments to the CAPP Compliance Report must submit the adjustments as soon as possible to the Office of the Registrar. Degree-seeking students must apply for degree candidacy by completing an Application for Graduation with the Office of the Registrar at the start of their final semester.

Question 10: How can I get a copy of my CAPP report?

You can request an official copy of your CAPP report from your major department.  You can also generate a CAPP report through your Student Hub through the "Degree Progress Report" link.

Question 11: If I am seeking a second degree, do I need to complete general studies again?

General studies for students who already have a bachelor's degree recognized by Metropolitan State University of Denver are considered complete unless deficiencies exist according to the major department.  Additional information about completing a second degree can be found in the university catalog by your catalog year.

Question 12: How do I know I've met the prerequisites for a course?

Student's can view all course descriptions and prerequisites through the online university catalog

Question 13: What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing (W) courses?

Dropping a course means the course is deleted from your academic record and in some cases, you receive a refund.  Check the Academic Calendar each semester to see the drop dates deadline. 

Withdrawing(W) notation is not a grade. It may indicate withdrawal from the course or course repetition.  

Edit this page