FAQs Regarding the Provision of Personal Psychotherapy for Students Living Outside of Colorado

MSU Denver’s Counseling Center is staffed by licensed psychologists, psychotherapists, and qualified trainees who operate under Colorado state laws pertaining to the provision of psychotherapy. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, and the shift to remote services, questions have arisen regarding the Center’s services to students who live outside of Colorado. The information below is intended to help clarify how the various considerations related to the applicable laws impact service delivery. Additionally, currently enrolled students living outside of Colorado may call the Counseling Center for further clarification or to obtain help connecting to local mental health services.

Can I be treated at the Counseling Center if I reside in another State?

Our Counseling Center has contracted with a Telebehavioral Health Vendor who can now provide services to currently enrolled students residing out of State. Just call our main number at (303) 615-9988 to obtain a unique code so that you could be connected with this Vendor.

What options do students residing outside of Colorado have for receiving treatment if the Counseling Center is not able to provide clinical treatment?

All students can utilize our robust library of self-help resources, including online screening tools and materials designed to facilitate self-care­, regardless of their state of residence. Several apps for stress management, relaxation, and more are also available on the Counseling Center’s website. Students residing outside of Colorado may also register for any of our group workshops on topics such as academic skills, diversity, personal growth, and substance abuse.

We also strongly encourage students living outside of Colorado to utilize mental health services in their local jurisdictions. Staff in the Counseling Center are available to provide assistance to students in identifying options for local mental health services/resources. 

Can my professor(s) or I appeal to the Counseling Center to provide services as an exception to the laws if I live outside of Colorado?

No. Counseling Center staff are required to abide by all relevant mental health laws. They are not able to independently dismiss the regulations; however, Counseling Center staff can help students identify options for local mental health services/resources within their state of residence.

What if a student living outside of Colorado has a mental health crisis?

This is an excellent question. Students are encouraged to identify mental health services soon after arriving in their new state of residence and to program these numbers in their phones for unexpected emergencies/crises. Within the United States, calling 911 is another way to quickly connect with emergency responders and to get help for emergent and acute mental health concerns.

There are also a few national emergency lines that students living outside of Colorado may utilize:

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Veterans Crisis Line (For Veterans): 1-800-273-8255, Press 1

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

United Way Crisis Helpline: 1-800-233-HELP (1-800-233-4357)

Grief/Share: 1-800-395-5755

SAMHSA National Helpline: 1-800-662-4357

LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564

The Trevor Project (for LGBTQ Youth): 1-866-488-7386