Richard T. Castro Distinguished Visiting Professorship
For the 2016 Distinguished Professorship, the Castro Planning Committee worked to develop a site dedicated to curriculum focused on the theme, Nuestro Destinos: (Re)Claiming Space, Identity, Power.
While 2016's event is long over, the curriculum still stands and is meant to be utilized by academics of various disciplines. The focus is on race/ethnicity in the United States specific to Chican@ identities and experiences. The following themes are explored within the provided curriculum:
- Race/Ethnicity and Latin@s in the U.S.
- Gentrification and its impact on Latin@ communities in the U.S.
- Colonialism and its influence on identity
- The social construction of race/ethnicity specific to Latin@s
- The gendered/sexed aspect of colonial rule over Latin@s
- Citizenship and the Latin@ trajectory in the U.S.
Please visit our curriculum site by clicking on the button below!