Gender Institute for Teaching and Advocacy/Gender, Women & Sexualities Studies
Agencies and organizations in the public and private sectors need staff capable of working with individuals of all backgrounds, therefore a major in Gender, Women & Sexualities Studies greatly enhances an applicant's ability to meet position qualifications.
Many students enter the teaching field and/or pursue graduate degrees. Community and interpersonal experiences are used as points of departure toward expanding awareness of the multicultural world and the contributions the contributions of various genders and the LGBTQ population to all sectors of society.
Skills Related to the Gender Institute for Teaching and Advocacy/Gender, Women & Sexualities Studies Major
- Ability to read and write articulately and analytically
- Proficiency in interpersonal communication and relationship building
- Thorough knowledge of community resources
- Ability to interact effectively with people of different backgrounds
Potential Careers for GITA majors
The following list is a representative sample of job titles for individuals with a Gender, Women & Sexualities major. The list represents some, but certainly not all, careers which to consider.
Some of these jobs also require or prefer education beyond a bachelor's degree.*
Employers in Gender & Women’s Studies
* Colleges/Universities * Advocacy organization
* Consulting firms * Social service agencies
* Research firms * Urban planning agencies
* Lobbying firms * Government agencies
* Human resources * Public health agencies
Web Sites Related to GITA
Professional Organizations in this Field
The above information is collected from alumni surveys of numerous colleges, professional associations, and multiple print and online resources.