Office of the Bursar
Tax ID Rules for the 1098-T
In order to provide a 1098-T to you for tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to your school.
BY TAKING NO ACTION AFTER RECEIVING A REQUEST FOR YOUR SSN/ITIN, YOU ARE RISKING BEING ASSESSED A PENALTY FEE BY THE IRS!
If you have already have a SSN or ITIN, you can update your account online through the Student Hub:
- Go to your Student Hub
- Click on "Main Menu" button listed under "Web Services".
- Click on the "Personal Information Menu" tab.
- Select the "Social Security Number Change Information" link.
- Enter SSN/ITIN, then reenter it before clicking on the "update" button.
- System will provide a message verifying SSN/ITIN is updated.
You can also fill out the W-9S Form and either fax, email or hand deliver to the Office of the Bursar.
What if you don’t have a SSN or ITIN?
The 1098-T is reported to the IRS regardless of your visa or immigration status!
Depending on your immigration status you may be eligible to apply for a Social Security Number. To determine your eligibility, refer to the Social Security Administration’s publication, Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens.
If you are ineligible to receive a Social Security Number, you may apply for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- International students who have an F-1 or F-2 visa should contact the International Student Support Coordinator, Aubrey Winbigler in International Student Support, via email email@example.com or call (303)605-5685 to inquire about filing requirements for the W-7 Form; if you do not have a social security number or ITIN number as a result of your immigration status, contact Gregor Mieder (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance or further clarification.
- All foreign national students after applying for a SSN or ITIN are required to fill out the Form W-9S, but in the “Taxpayer Identification Number” field, you must write “APPLIED FOR”.
If you have received a rejection notice for you SSN/ITIN application, please provide a copy to the Bursar Office.
DO NOT PREPARE AND MAIL OUT THE W-7 APPLICATION YOURSELF AS YOU COULD LOSE VALUABLE DOCUMENTS IN THE MAIL!