Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Department Policies

  • The Art Department requires students who do not attend all sessions of a course the first week of the semester to drop that course. 
  • Non-attending students may be dropped as a courtesy especially if there are students on the waiting list, but it is the student’s responsibility to drop the course to avoid incurring tuition and fees. 
  • Students who miss a class meeting the first week of classes who do not drop will be given a failing grade for the course, and will be responsible for any incurred tuition and fees.
  • Permission of the department is required to register for any art (ART, ARTE, ARTH, or CDES) class, or be absorbed from a waiting list, after the first meeting.
  • Permission of instructor is required to be absorbed from a waitlist once the class has begun. The Course Enrollment Override Form (Blue Form) is available in the Art Department. The completed form with instructor signature is required to request absorption into the class.
  • All students (including UCD students) must meet Art Department prerequisites, as stated in the University Catalog, before enrolling in a course.
  • The course instructor does not have the authority to waive a prerequisite.  A student seeking a prerequisite override must have the permission of the area coordinator and the department chair.
  • A prerequisite may not be taken as a corequisite unless so stated in the University Catalog.
  • The Art Department does not accept audit or Metromeritus students in ART, ARTE or CDES courses.  They are accepted in ARTH (art history) courses on a space-available basis, with permission of the instructor. 
  • A course audit requires a student to apply and be accepted to the University, to enroll in the course, and to pay full tuition and fees.
  • Metro Meritus students may audit art history (ARTH) courses at no cost with the instructor’s permission when there is space available. Through the Metro Meritus program, persons 60 years and over can attend MSU Denver classes on the main campus and the extended campus locations at no cost on a space available bases. Metro Meritus applications are available for lifelong learners over 60; contact the Center for Individualized Learning, 303 615-0525.
  • Students are advised to check their Student Hub Personal Announcements and MSU Denver email regularly.  MSU Denver email is the official means of communication from the university, and will be used to notify you of class cancellations, etc.

Advising and Faculty Appointments

  • Come into the Department of Art office and speak with one of the front desk employees, or
  • Call the department at 303-615-0300
  • There are select peak times such as the week before the fall semester begins when walk-in general advising is available on a first come, first served basis.  Contact the front desk for more information.
  • Your instructor may also have established walk-in hours.  If so, these will be given on your course syllabus.

The department does offer limited walk-in advising during peak times through out the semester. To ensure an advisor is available, appointments are recommended.

If you have had a transfer evaluation from MSU Denver and are requesting a transfer appeal determination, please bring a copy of your transcript and the course descriptions of the courses you are appealing.  If you have them, your course syllabi in addition to your unofficial transcripts are also helpful. Transfer evaluations may require multiple appointments with various area coordinators in the department.

  • Your translator, interpreter or assistant is welcome but you will need to give your permission for that person to be present in the room during your appointment. 
  • If you need accommodation for a disability please contact the Access Center to make arrangements prior to scheduling your appointment.
  • Your parent, spouse, partner, or friend is welcome but you will need to give your permission for that person to be present in the room during your appointment.  Seating is limited in faculty and staff offices.
  • Well-behaved children may attend if there is room and with the permission of your advisor.  Please do not ask the front desk staff to babysit your children, and do not leave small children unattended in the office.
  • Assistance dogs and other service animals are welcome. 
  • We do not recommend bringing pets to the office.  Please do not ask the front desk staff to look after your pet.

Additional Answers

Adobe gave full Creative Cloud access to all students, until May 31, 2020, so everyone with an @msudenver email who signs in using “Company or School Account” now has a license. Adobe requires a sign inwhich is the same as your email sign in. 

To install Adobe products on a University-owned computer: 

  • Use the Self Service application or contact MSU Denver Help Desk at 303-352-7548.  
  • University-owned computers have disabled access to install Adobe software via the website or via the Creative Cloud desktop app and you will receive a messsage that “You don’t have access to manage apps.” 

To install Adobe products on your own device: 

  • Go to  
  • Click “Sign In” in the upper right. 
  • Click the waffle icon (9 little squares) in the upper right, and find the software you want to use. (Click the “More” link and then click “View All” for Creative Cloud Apps.) 
  • Now click “Install” for any software that is available in your subscription. 

Once the Adobe software has been installed: 

  • When you open an Adobe application, in the Sign In window that pops up enter your MSU Denver email and passwordThen choose “Enterprise ID – Company or School Account.”  
  • If you have personally paid for a subscription to Creative Cloud you could choose “Adobe ID – Personal account,” so that you can access your personal CC files.   
  • Be sure to sign out or quit the program when you are finished, because Adobe only allows you to use one Creative Cloud login at a time, so if you remain signed in on one machine you may not be allowed to sign in on another. 

If you encounter any problems signing into Adobe, please contact MSU Denver Help Desk at 303-352-7548 or .  

  • How do I get a locker?
    • You must be a MSU Denver student and currently enrolled in two studio art classes, fall or spring; or one studio art class, summer. 
    • Bring a copy of your current schedule for our files and your student ID to the Department of Art office.  The office staff will not make a copy for you. 
    • If you have one studio art class you may share a locker. 
      • You are responsible for finding your own locker partner.
      • Both of you must come in to the art office together with copies of your schedules and IDs.
  • When can I get a locker?
    • You can get a locker one week before the semester starts.
  • When do I need to clean it out?
    • You must have your items removed from your locker the last day the semester ends, unless you are able to renew your locker. 
  • How do I renew my locker?
    • To renew you must bring a current schedule for the next semester and your ID to the Department of Art office.
  • Is there a fee for a locker?
    • The Department of Art does not charge any fee for a locker.  We do not rent Art lockers to other majors, or to students who do not have studio classes.
  • Links to all department job announcements may be found at
  • Faculty positions will be listed at and in some instances on the College Art Association website.  All applicants must apply online at
  • Work study and student hourly positions are listed at  Follow the instructions on the announcement to apply.
  • Metropolitan State University of Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks on all finalists for positions at the University prior to employment.

More Answers

If you have additional questions, please contact us!

Edit this page