Alternative Licensure Program
One Year Alternative Licensure Program Enrollment Information and Forms
To enroll in the One Year Alternative Licensure Program (ALP 1), you must:
- Have an "alternative license pending employment/program" status from the Colorado Department of Education in
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- A secondary content area (ie. math, science, English) or
- A K-12 content area (ie. music, Spanish, but not Special Education) AND
- Have a full time teaching contract at a Front Range area school district, public or private charter school, or an accredited private school.
In addition, you MUST:
- Provide documentation of at least two years of previous contractual teaching experience in the same grade level and content as the current teaching assignment AND
- Demonstrate proficiency on at least 1/2 of the Colorado Teacher Quality Standards by attending the summer portfolio training and creating a summer portfolio.
Candidates who do not have the required teaching experience in the same grade level & content and/or do not demonstrate proficiency on the standards will be required to enroll in ALP 2. Substitute teaching, teaching at the college or university level and/or working as a para-professional do not count towards the required 2 years of teaching experience.
Please Note: access to enrollment forms is restricted to those who meet the requirements.
Individuals who have been hired as a full time teacher and have submitted their application for an alternative teacher license to the CDE, but have not received their "alternative license pending employment/program" status, may be given access to the forms on a case by case basis.
Individuals who have the "alternative license pending employment/program" status from CDE, but have not been hired as a full time teacher will not be given access to the forms.