Skip to main content Skip to main content

Transfer Credit Guidelines

Post-secondary transcript evaluations may take 1-2 months during busy times of the year. Transfer credits awarded appear on your online academic transcript.

Applicants who have provided a valid email address on their application or students with an MSU Denver email will also receive their evaluation electronically.

Please review the guidelines below which explain how MSU Denver determines eligibility for transfer credits:

MSU Denver only accepts credit from institutions of higher education holding full regional accreditation. Your school must be accredited by one of the following agencies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Colleges of Schools, or Western Association of Colleges and Schools. Please contact Transfer Services to find out if your previous college or university is regionally accredited by one of these agencies. 

We award up to 64 semester hours of transferable credit from two-year institutions and up to 90 semester hours from four-year institutions or from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions. Even if your previous college or university is regionally accredited, coursework is still evaluated on a course-by-course basis.

Transfer credit is accepted only for those classes in which a grade of “C-” or better is earned and in which class content is similar to that of coursework offered at MSU Denver. Your GPA at MSU Denver will not include your grades from previous institutions.

  •     not college level, such as remedial or developmental
  •     non-academic, such as vocational, career exploration, cooperative education, or practicum, etc.
  •     courses from a non-regionally accredited college or university
  •     courses or programs identified as college orientation

After we have received your official transcripts and completed an official transfer evaluation of your credits:

If you have a course that you believe should have transferred, you may take a copy of the course description and a Transfer Course Approval Form to the academic department that offers the course at MSU Denver (e.g. if it is a math course, contact the Math department). If they approve the course for transfer, the department will sign the Transfer Course Approval Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

If you have attended any Colorado two-year community college or junior college, you may be eligible to take advantage of several transfer policies that guarantee transfer of credit, e.g. 60 + 60 major programs, gtPathways, or articulation agreements. However, you do not need to complete your AA or AS degree to transfer to MSU Denver; you can transfer at any time. 

Check out MSU Denver's Colorado Community College Transfer Guides.

Course equivalency may be granted for a lower-division course from another college that is upper-division at MSU Denver, but the course will not count as upper-division credit at MSU Denver. Credits earned at a two-year college cannot be used to meet MSU Denver's upper-division credit hour requirement.

Students who transfer in a previous bachelor's degree will receive a block of 90 credit hours and be granted senior standing at the university. However, if your program requires certain previous coursework be pulled out of your first degree and applied to your program at MSU Denver so it appears on your CAPP report, have your departmental advisor complete the Previous Degree Form and return it to the Office of the Registrar.   

Military training, Military Occupational Specialties, and other educational programs that have been assessed for college credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) and have department approval, will be evaluated by the Office of the Registrar for transfer credit at MSU Denver.

In addition MSU Denver offers the following package of transfer credit and waivers:

  • 6 semester hours of lower division elective credit (MILR 8000) for all students who have served one enlistment of four years.
  • 6 additional semester hours of upper division elective credit (MILR 9000) for students who have either served two enlistments of four years each or attained the rank of E5 or above.
  • 3 credits of SPE 1010 for all students who served at least one enlistment and achieved the rank of E5.
  • Waiver of the Global Diversity requirement for all students who deployed abroad in the armed services for at least 6 months.

Applicable credit and waivers will be granted upon presentation of evidence of either continued active service, transfer to the Reserve component, or discharge under conditions other than dishonorable. Students who have been discharged from active service should submit their form DD214 to the Transfer Office for evaluation.

To request a military transcript, visit jst.doded.milCommunity College of the Air Force transcripts can be requested at Questions regarding credit awarded for military experience or other prior learning assessment options should be directed to the Prior Learning Specialist in the Center for Individualized Learning at 303-556-8342.

Students with international transcripts should provide official transcripts in their original language for examination. These will be photocopied and returned. A professional course-by-course evaluation completed by a professional transcript evaluation service such as World Education Services or Education Credential Evaluators is also required.

For information regarding Advanced Placement, CLEP (College-Level Examination Program), and International Baccalaureate (IB), visit the alternative credit section of our university catalog.

If you would like to find out more about earning credit for prior learning and work experience, visit the Center for Individualized Learning.

Students should request official transcripts be mailed to the following address:

Metropolitan State University of Denver
Office of the Registrar
Campus Box 84, P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217-3362

Students can also request their previous colleges/universities email their official transcripts to:


If you have questions regarding any of this information, please call the Transfer Services Office at 303-556-3774.

Edit this page