Skip to main content Skip to main content
Flags of the world

International Students

Bienvenido | Chào Mừng | Välkommen | Bem Vindo | Tuloy Ka

MSU Denver offers you a chance to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the United States and study on an urban campus located in the heart of the city of Denver.

We welcome you to apply and join the most diverse student community in the state of Colorado. 

Questions? Email

How Do I Start?

Follow the steps listed and remember, we must have all required materials before an admissions decision is made.  You may submit additional documents after the application and fee. 

Important Note: The student visa process takes place after you have applied and been accepted.

If you are pursuing a master's degree, please review the master's student information.



How To Apply to MSU Denver As an International Student:

You must submit the online application, the $25 application fee and all required documentation by the application deadline for the semester you want to enroll. Please note that your application will not be reviewed until all documents listed below have been submitted. All documents sent to MSU Denver must be in English or include an English language translation. Application materials can be dropped off in person at the Office of Admissions located in the Student Success Building on the Auraria Campus or mailed to:

Metropolitan State University of Denver

International Admissions

Campus Box 16, P.O. Box 173362

Denver, CO 80217

Application Deadlines

Fall June 1 July 1
Spring Nov. 1 Dec. 1

An official secondary (high school) transcript or its equivalent showing your graduation date, sent directly from your high school, if possible. Unless the document is issued in English, both the original language and a certified English translation are required.

This requirement is waived if you transfer 24+ college credits to MSU Denver. You must submit official college transcripts to qualify. Coursework completed outside of the U.S. must be professionally evaluated before being accepted. 

If Applicable, college/university transcripts for transfer credit evaluation.

  • U.S. college/university transcripts must be sent directly to MSU Denver from the issuing institution.
  • Foreign colleges/universities should send transcripts directly to MSU Denver. If this is not possible, students should provide official transcripts in their original language for examination; these will be photocopied and returned. A professional course-by-course translation and evaluation completed by a professional transcript evaluation service is also required.  For more information regarding the transcript evaluation requirement, please visit the Professional Evaluation section of this website.

For students seeking credit in nursing or other medical fields, we recommend getting an evaluation from CGFNS International.

Generally, we will accept evaluations done by:

*When requesting an evaluation from one of the agencies, please choose the Course-by-Course evaluation.

Other agencies may be considered. They should be members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

TOEFL/IELTS Requirements

International Students must be proficient in English prior to being accepted to Metropolitan State University of Denver.  MSU Denver accepts either TOEFL or IELTS scores as proof of English proficiency.

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Obtain a minimum score of 72 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) (an equivalent of 533 on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT)). An official score must be sent directly from TOEFL Services; MSU Denver’s institution code is 4505. Scores older than two years are not acceptable.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Obtain an overall band score of at least 6. An official score must be sent directly from the testing company. Scores older than two years old are not acceptable.


Proof of English Proficiency is not required for applicants who:

  • are lifetime residents of Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom;
  • have completed the highest level of an accredited intensive English language training program (note that you may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • have graduated from an American high school that they attended for at least two years (note that you must also submit ACT/SAT scores and may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • hold an associate’s degree (AA and AS only) from an American community college;
  • have completed at least 30 semester hours at a U.S. college or university and completed both of the required English composition courses (English 1010 and 1020) with grades of C or better;
  • have passed a U.S. General Education Development (GED) test (note that you may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • submit an official SAT Critical Reading score of 440 or higher; or
  • submit an official ACT Reading score of at least 17 and English score of at least 18

Tuition and Expenses (2019-20) 


F-1 Visa – Degree Seeking Students


Estimated Cost Per Year



Living Expenses


Books and Supplies (estimated)


Health Insurance





Students requesting an I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa must show that they have enough money to pay for at least the first year of study at MSU Denver.  This includes tuition and fees as well as living expenses for themselves and any dependents. The following documents are required before you are accepted to the university and receive an I-20: 

  • An original, sealed bank statement showing sufficient liquid assets to cover tuition & fees, books & supplies, room & board, health insurance, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses for one year. The bank statement must be on official bank letterhead, must be dated within the last 6 months, and must show the specific denomination and currency of the available funds. Please visit our website or contact the MSU Denver International Admissions Counselor for the minimum amount that must be documented on the bank statement.
  • The Affidavit of Financial Support form completed by yourself and your financial sponsor.  Please complete all sections and submit the form to the Office of Admissions.

If you will be accompanied by dependents (spouse and/or minor children) who will need to apply for F-2 visas, your financial support documents must show sufficient funds for your spouse and/or minor children, as well. Current expenses are $10,000 for a spouse and $10,000 for each child. You also need to submit copies of their passport identity page that shows their birth date, citizenship and country of birth

Copy of current passport, along with current visa, I-94 and Form I-20, if applicable.

If you will be accompanied by dependents (spouse and/or minor children) who will need to apply for F-2 visas, you will also need to submit copies of their passport identity page(s) that show their birth date, citizenship and country of birth.

Applying for a Non-immigrant Student Visa

Steps to Obtain Your F-1 Student Visa

MSU Denver educations students from more than 60 countriesThe following information is intended as a guide. It is important that you check for updated information directly from the U.S. embassy or consulate where you will apply for your non-immigrant visa, as requirements may vary based on country. You may find contact information for the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you at the US Embassy website. Before applying for your F-1 visa, you must be admitted to MSU Denver and you must have received your Form I-20.

Step 1:  Complete the online visa application

Complete the Form DS-160. Be sure to print the completed application and bring it to your visa interview. You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Please review the photo requirements prior to completing your application.

Step 2:  Schedule your visa interview appointment at a U.S. embassy or consulate 

You must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. Visa interview appointments must be schedule online. You may schedule your interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa outside of your place of permanent residence.

Step 3:  Pay the visa application fee

This fee must be paid prior to attending your visa interview. The SEVIS I-901 application fee is payable online at

  • Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
  • Print a copy of the receipt. You may wish to make copies of this receipt, as it may be needed for future visa applications.
  • MSU Denver will not pay this fee for you; you must pay this fee.

Step 4:  Prepare documentation for your interview

You are required to prepare and provide the following doucmentation to the visa officer during your appointment:

  • All three pages of the Form I-20, provided by MSU Denver. The I-20 must be signed and dated by the applicant at item #11 on page one.
  • Non-immigrant visa application, Form DS-160.
  • Passport valid for at least six months after your intended date of entry in the U.S.
  • A photo that meets the photo requirements, if the photo upload failed while completing the Form DS-160.
  • Receipt of payment of the visa application fee.
  • Receipt of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee.

Additional documentation that you should prepare includes:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution, such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
  • Financial evidence showing that you or your financial sponsors have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for one year. This financial documentation should match what was provided to MSU Denver. Documentation may include affidavits of support, bank statements, scholarship letters, or other documents showing liquid assets available for educational support.
  • Proof of your binding ties to a residence in your home country which you have no intention of abandoning.
  • For applicants with dependents: Proof of the student’s relationships to his/her spouse and/or children (i.e., marriage and birth certificates). It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

If you are denied the F-1 visa, you may apply again. Should this happen, contact the International Admissions Counselor at MSU Denver for advice on how to prepare for a second interview.

Edit this page