Skip to main content Skip to main content

The Details 

We know residency is confusing but here's the details if you need it.

According to Colorado Tuition Classification Law, CRS 23-7-101 et. seq., state-supported colleges and universities in Colorado must classify each student as either in-state or out-of-state for tuition purposes. This designation determines the amount of tuition you will pay. In-state students pay lower tuition than out-of-state students. Undergraduate students who are approved in-state status will also be eligible for extra funding applied towards their tuition bill. Please visit the College Opportunity Fund page to read more and apply for this stipend.

The law also determines the conditions you must meet in order to be classified as an in-state student. Although people who have lived in Colorado only a short time are considered state residents by voting and other legal purposes, they are not necessarily classified as in-state for tuition purposes unless they meet the specific additional requirements outlined in the law. Administering the tuition law, as with any law, depends upon the judgment and interpretation of individual actions and circumstance. 

The Colorado Department of Higher Education provides helpful resources to assist with your residency questions:

Colorado Higher Education Residency Guide

Colorado Residency Statutes

Frequently Asked Questions

Form Deadlines

Deadlines for the forms vary per semester so please ensure that you complete the correct form. Residency forms should be submitted to the Office of Admissions. Read the forms carefully and provide supportive documentation. The burden of proof relies on the individual seeking in-state tuition. Incomplete forms will delay processing. Students are responsible for verifying the balance due and all cost incurred upon registration.

Edit this page