Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the questions below to learn more about the application process as an international student.  If you have additional questions, please email  

Application and Admission

You must submit the ‚ÄĆapplication and all required documentation by the application deadline for the semester you want to enroll.  Please visit the Application Requirements page for detailed instructions. 

Students who complete their high school or secondary school education outside the U.S. are not required to take the SAT or ACT.  If you do not submit ACT or SAT scores, you will be asked to take the Accuplacer placement tests prior to orientation and course registration.

If you are under the age of 20 and have graduated or will graduate from a high school in the U.S., you will be required to submit an SAT or ACT.  

Yes.  You must choose a major offered by MSU Denver when you apply.  If you decide to change your major, you can do so when you arrive on campus.  I-20's are not able to be issued for students who have applied with an "undeclared" major.

An official document comes directly from the institution in a sealed envelope.  In most cases, unofficial documents can be accepted in order for an admission decision to be made.  If admitted, students will be required to submit original documents to the Office of Admissions prior to registering for courses.

Yes, all documents written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.  MSU Denver does not provide a translation service.

No.  Students must meet the English proficiency requirements prior to being admitted to the university.  MSU Denver does not currently offer an intensive English program.

Yes.  Once you are admitted to MSU Denver, an official transcript evaluation will be done.  Official evaluations are usually completed within 48 hours after your application has been completed and will be emailed to your MSU Denver email account.  If you attended a college or university in the U.S., it must be accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies in order to receive transfer credit.  

We award up to 64 semester hours of transferable credit from two-year institutions and up to 90 semester hours from four-year institutions or from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions. Even if your previous college or university is regionally accredited, coursework is still evaluated on a course-by-course basis.  

Transfer credit is accepted only for those classes in which a grade of “C-” or better is earned and in which class content is similar to that of coursework offered at MSU Denver. Your GPA at MSU Denver will not include your grades from previous institutions.

For information about transferring credit from a university outside of the U.S., please visit page.

Yes.  Students who transfer in a previous bachelor's degree will receive a block of 90 credit hours and be granted senior standing at the university. However, if your program requires certain previous coursework be pulled out of your first degree and applied to your program at MSU Denver so it appears on your CAPP report, have your departmental advisor complete the Previous Degree Form (PDF 256 KB) and return it to the Office of Admissions.

If your bachelor's degree was earned at an institution outside the U.S., please visit the Transfer Evaluation page for more information.

No.  Unfortunately, MSU Denver does not currently have the resources to offer academic scholarships to international students.  

If you are interested in earning an athletic scholarship, you must contact the coach of your sport directly.  Please visit the MSU Denver athletics website for more information.

MSU Denver reviews applications on a rolling basis.  Once your application is complete, you will usually receive notification regarding your decision within 7-10 business days.

You must complete the Steps to Success for international students prior to registering for courses.  Registration begins in April for the Fall semester and November for the Spring semester.


An international student is any student who will attend MSU Denver while holding a valid nonimmigrant visa.  This includes students who are seeking or currently hold an F-1, J-1, H-1, or any other visa.  Applicants who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees, asylees, or who have no visa are NOT considered international students and should complete the domestic application process.

An I-20 is a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students.” The completed form verifies that an international student has been admitted to an academic program for full-time enrollment and has shown evidence of financial support for at least one academic year. A Form I-20 is issued by a Designated School Official (DSO), who is usually an International Admissions Counselor or International Student Advisor. The form is used by prospective international students to request an F-1 nonimmigrant student visa.

New students: Any non-citizen who wishes to obtain an F-1 student visa or to change an existing immigration status to F-1 must first obtain an I-20 to verify their admission to a qualified school. Most I-20s are requested by students who are outside the U.S. and plan to apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. A significant number of I-20s are also requested by individuals already in the U.S. on other kinds of temporary visas (i.e., exchange participants, diplomats, employee of an international organization), and who need apply for a change of status in order to study.

Transfer students: Students in the U.S. who already have F-1 status with an I-20 from another school must obtain a new I-20 from MSU Denver. Each I-20 is valid only for the school named on the form.

Your I-20 will be issued after you have been admitted to MSU Denver and submitted proper financial support documentation.  Please indicate where you would like your I-20 sent on your application.  If your address changes, please notify the Office of Admissions as soon as possible.  Transfer students must submit a SEVIS Transfer Form which is to be completed by the student and the international advisor at the current institution.  

If you are currently in some other legal nonimmigrant status (such as B-1/B-2, F-2, J-2, or H-4) and intend to study, you must first request a change of status to the F-1 visa. Because the change of status process can take 8 to 12 weeks, it is important to begin the process early. In some cases, it may be faster to leave the U.S. and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Please contact the International Admissions Counselor for more information.  You may also use the Checklist for Change of Status as a reference.

If your current visa status allows you to study as a degree seeking student, you are not required to change visa status.

Yes.  More than one source of funding is permitted in order to meet the financial support requirements.  An Affidavit of Financial Support F1 must be completed for each bank statement that is submitted on your behalf.

Yes.  International students are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week.  On campus employment is not guaranteed and can be arranged once you arrive on campus.  After you have completed your first year at MSU Denver, you may be eligible for off-campus work programs as it relates to your major.

Edit this page