Access Center- Student Disability Support Services
Access Center Accommodated Deadline Extension Procedures
The purpose of this accommodation is to allow for consideration of providing additional time to complete an outside of class assignment/paper/project due to the severe adverse effects of the student’s disability. Assignment deadline modifications will be determined by the Access Center on a case-by-case basis which may include obtaining information from faculty about how not submitting assignments by the indicated deadline may be a fundamental alteration to the course.
Students seeking to utilize their approved accommodation of extension on assignment deadlines must follow these procedures:
- Review course syllabus (late assignments policies).
- If you think it may not be possible to abide by a course's assignment deadline requirements due to your disability, submit a “Deadline Extension Request Form” located on the Access Center website, www.msudenver.edu/access.
Please be aware of the following factors:
- Following the submission of this form, your Access Center Coordinator may need to contact you to discuss your request. You will receive an email within 1-2 business days from your Accessibility Coordinator regarding your request.
- Students must factor in the reality of their own personal situation and use time effectively to complete assignments. Taking a heavy course load, having a job outside of school or other family commitments do not justify approving a deadline request even if they have a diagnosed disability that may otherwise support this accommodation. Deadline extension requests must be directly related to your disability.
- The university nor an individual faculty member is not required to waive essential or fundamental academic requirements of a course regardless of the nature of a student’s disability
- The submission of the Deadline Extension Request Form does not guarantee an extension.
- By submitting a “Deadline Extension Request Form”, you are requesting an extension for a SINGLE assignment / project / paper. If approved, this WILL NOT establish a permanent extension for any future assignment / project / paper deadlines.
- Deadline extensions do not apply to online discussion board posts.