Board of Academic Standards Exception Petition (BASE Petition)
Students may appeal to the Board of Academic Standards Exceptions (BASE) to request a variance from College academic requirements.
1. To review with appropriate administrative offices those
guidelines and criteria to be considered for exceptions to
published college standards.
2. To hear appeal cases requesting exceptions to established
When Chairs and Deans are in agreement on a student's
appeal, the approval or denial may be affirmed by the
signature from the Associate Vice President of Academic
Affairs. In these instances, such cases will not be heard by
BASE, unless the student requests a hearing.
For those appeals in which the Dean(s) and Chair(s) do not
agree, BASE will review and decide each case.
For decisions with which the student disagrees, a BASE
hearing will be offered.
3. To identify standards to which exceptions will be made. The
following standards cannot be adjusted or waived for any
- 120 semester hours minimum for graduation with a Bachelor's degree.
- 40 semester hours minimum upper-division credit for graduation with a Bachelor's degree.
- Awarding upper-division credit for courses completed at a junior or community college.
- Any required portion of a degree: major, minor, general studies and emphasis.
- The 2.00 or other (higher) minimum GPA requirement in the major, the minor, and for all Metro State programs.
- Students who have completed less than 50 hours at Metro State prior to the term of graduation are not eligible for graduating with honors.
- A "No Credit" (NC) notation on the student's record.