Student Support Services
Student Support Services is one of seven federal TRiO programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education to provide academic support for low-income, first-generation students and students with disabilities.
The program is designed to help student overcome social and cultural barriers to higher education.
Student Support Services
Student Success Building 240 (SSB240)
"...students in the TRiO Student Support Services program are more than twice as likely to remain in college than those students from similar backgrounds who did not participate in the program."
Council for Opportunity in Education
TRiO SSS is highering Peer Mentor Tutors for Fall 2015!
Fall 2015 TRIO SSS Peer Mentor/Tutor Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming a TRIO SSS Peer Mentor/Tutor (PMT) at MSU Denver! As a PMT, you will promote academic success and provide support to students in the TRIO SSS program.
In order to be considered for the position, you must read and agree to all of the following statements.
In addition, you will need to provide two references and a writing sample. The writing sample can be any paper you have completed at MSU Denver that you feel accurately represents your writing abilities. After completing the online application, please send writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, APRIL 10TH 2015 (Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a need basis)
What is TRIO SSS and what is a PMT?
● TRIO SSS is a federally funded student support program for students who are first-generation, low-income or have a documented disability. TRIO SSS offers tutoring, advising, workshops, and other support, such as a small scholarship, to help increase retention and graduation rates.
● PMT’s are student employees for TRIO SSS. They are paid $10 per hour and are asked to work around 10 hours per week. PMT’s will tutor in a variety of subjects, ranging from Math to Writing to General Studies, while also mentoring students and providing study skills workshops.
● PMT’s can be either work-study or hourly employees.
TRIO SSS Requirements for Employment:
Minimum requirements for employment:
● An overall G.P.A. of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) is required.
● Need to be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours for the semester you want to be employed.
● Requires a 10 hour per week commitment.
● Attend all staff trainings and meetings throughout the semester.
● Earned at least 24 credits with at least 12 credits coming from MSU Denver.
Preferred qualifications for employment:
● Junior or senior standing
● Majoring in a STEM field, English, Education, or Business.
● Approximately 10 hours per week between 8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday
● Attend Fall PMT Training August 13th & 14th
● Preference will be given to those who are available Fridays 9:30-11:00 for weekly staff meetings