Department of Human Services
Make a difference in the lives of others and the world
Do you dream of helping high-risk youth thrive and succeed? Do you want to help nonprofit organizations provide much-needed services in the community? Have you personally benefited from counseling and hope to become a mental health counselor yourself? Or maybe you see yourself as a first responder in the fire and rescue industry. If you have a passion for helping others, the Human Services profession could be the place for you.
The Department of Human Services at Metropolitan State University of Denver is dedicated to helping students like you become competent, motivated and dedicated practitioners in the delivery of human services. With a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Services, you benefit from experiential learning both in the classroom and through intensive field experience. You’ll develop high ethical standards and cultural sensitivity. Plus, you’ll become an agent for positive change in the lives of individuals, and in your community.
What You’ll Want to Know
- Small classes make it easy to learn and connect with faculty.
- You’ll enjoy classroom lectures, hands-on experience and individual attention from a dedicated and talented faculty with diverse backgrounds and extensive clinical knowledge and experience.
- You’ll spend 750 hours working in a human services and/or nonprofit agency for an intensive/immersion field experience.
- You’ll have opportunities to connect with influential community leaders through class projects, field experience, site projects and guest speakers.
- You’ll gain valuable counseling theory and skills practice in the classroom, including opportunities to be videotaped during mock counseling sessions.
- You’ll learn resume development, cover letter writing and interviewing skills so you’ll be prepared to apply for that perfect job.