Skip to main content

Summer Aid

Applying for Summer Financial Aid

If you wish to apply for financial aid for the summer semester, you must complete the FAFSA and your financial aid file for the academic year. Funding for the summer semester is usually limited to student loans, Federal Pell Grants and Work-Study, depending upon your eligibility and the availability of funds. You must enroll for, at least, 6 credit hours (half-time), 12 credit hours is considered full-time, for all types of summer aid except Federal Pell Grants. The Office of Financial Aid will begin awarding summer funds on March 19, 2014. To receive the best aid package for the summer you must:

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits for ALL aid
  • Have a completed 2013-2014 FAFSA in our files,
  • Have a completed financial aid file by March 14, 2014
  • Be enrolled for summer classes by March 14, 2014
  • Not be on financial aid suspension as of March 14, 2014.

If you wish to be considered for a summer Work-Study award please see the Work-Study information page.

NOTE: Annual loan limits include what can be used for fall, spring, and summer.

For example: If your annual loan limit is $9,500 and you use $9,500 for the fall and spring semesters, you will not have any Stafford loan eligibility for the summer semester. If you use $9000 for the fall and spring semesters, you would only have $500 left for the summer semester. Please plan wisely if you are planning to take summer courses as having a balance on your account could potentially keep you from registering for courses for the following term.

Please visit the Loan Limits page for more information.

The Office of Financial Aid will begin sending actual email award notifications the last week of March. This will allow you time to decide if you can afford the summer semester or if you will need to work and save money instead of attending classes. Remember that if you decide not to attend in the summer, you are responsible for dropping your classes.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When will I get my money?

• If your file is complete, your aid will disburse to your student account 10 days prior to the first day of classes.

2. How do I get my money?

• After your aid is disbursed to your student account, all charges on your account are subtracted from your aid. Any remaining balance will be released by the Cashier’s Office, 7 days prior to the first day of classes.

3. How much aid can I get?

• The amount of your aid is based on your remaining eligibility for 2013-2014, your actual enrollment, financial aid good standing, and your unmet need for the Summer 2014 term.

4. What if I am enrolled in more than 6 credit hours? 

• Students may increase their budget if they are enrolled in more than 6 credit hours by submitting a re-evaluation request after the Summer term's Census date.

Special Information For Transfer Students

If you received any aid for Summer 2013 at another college, you may not be eligible for aid during the Summer of 2014 at MSU Denver. This includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal Stafford and Federal Perkins Loans.

Sample Summer 2014 aid package for Transfer Students:

Sophomore Dependent Student: 
Total Federal Pell Grant eligibility $2700
Total Federal Stafford Loan eligibility $3500

Attended UCD (3 credits Summer 2013 and full-time Fall & Spring) and received the following aid:

Term Aid Received Amount

2013  Pell Grant $1350.00
Stafford Loan $1750.00

2014 Pell Grant $1012.00
Stafford Loan $1750.00

2014 Transfers to MSU Denver: 
(6 credits Summer 2013)

This student is not eligible for Pell Grant and Stafford Loans since they received their full amounts for the 2013-2014 academic year.

The reason for this is that at some schools, the Summer semester is the beginning of the academic year. At MSU Denver, Summer is the end of the academic year. 
Your situation may be quite different from the example shown, and we encourage you to consult with our office concerning your specific situation.

We welcome all of your questions and will be happy to help you through any concerns you may have.