The Department of Communication Arts and Sciences offers Bachelor of Arts Degrees in Speech Communication, and Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences. Speech Communication students can choose an emphasis in Communication Theory, Organizational Communication, Public Address & Rhetoric or Broadcasting.
Students pursuing their BA degree in Speech Language Hearing Sciences (SLHS) have the option of declaring a concentration in Childhood Communication. Students may also earn an SLHS leveling certificate or a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) certificate.
Several minors are offered, including Speech Communication, Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences, and Digital Media (in collaboration with the departments of Art and Journalism & Technical Communication). With this collection, students have the opportunity to customize their college experience to meet their career goals.
- The Speech Communication program offers BA degrees in Communication Theory, Organizational Communication, Public Address & Rhetoric, and Broadcasting. Students may also minor in Speech Communication.
- The Speech, Language, Hearing Science program offers a BA degree with the option of a concentration in Childhood Communication. Students may also minor in Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences. This program also offers two certificates: SLHS leveling and SLPA.
- A minor Digital Media is also available.
Career options in the field of communication
The study of communication is a rapidly growing discipline within colleges and universities across the United States. Communication is a skill that is in high demand and the CAS Department can help you achieve the communication skills necessary to succeed in today’s competitive job market. Below is a list of some of the career opportunities available to students with a degree in communication. Some careers may require additional schooling.
- Advertising or marketing specialist
- Creative director
- Media planner
- Media sales representative
- Social networking specialist
Business and Nonprofit
- Manager or executive director
- Human resources manager
- Community organizer
- Technical writer
- Diversity trainer
Communication and Health Care
- Medical grants writer
- Health care administrator
- Health personnel educator
- Health care counselor
Electronic Media / Radio / Television / Broadcasting
- TV or radio performer/announcer
- Broadcasting producer
- News and community relations manager
Government / Politics
- Campaign director
- Legislative assistant
- Elected official
- Speech writer
International Relations and Negotiations
- Non-governmental organization representative
- Diplomat / foreign service
- Student tour coordinator
- Legal secretary
- Mediation and negotiation specialist
- Legal researcher
Social and Human Services
- Community affairs liaison
- Social worker
- Religious leader
- Public administrator