One-on-one training incorporates your goals, fitness assessments and any areas that are identified as a weakness in your program. Each participant who purchases a package will receive a free Polar TriFit fitness assessment. You will also receive an exercise program plan that details what you need to do on your own outside of your personal training session. Each workout is 60 minutes long and individualized to meet your expectations.
Small Group Training
This is an opportunity to work out with a friend and a trainer. Buddy training offers the chance to save some money and to be held to a higher level of accountability. Buddy training incorporates your goals, fitness assessments and any areas that are identified as a weakness into your routine. You will receive an exercise program plan that details what you need to do on your own outside of your personal training session. Each workout is 60 minutes long and individualized to meet your expectations. Each buddy training participant who purchases a package will receive a free Polar TriFit fitness assessment. Participants are encouraged to have a buddy training partner with similar goals and fitness level. All purchased buddy training sessions must be completed with your partner present.
Personal trainer bios can be viewed at the PE Building service desk Room 108
All new personal training clients get a free initial fitness assessment. Clients who want a re-assessment after beginning the program must use one of the paid training sessions. Clients are assessed in the following areas:
- Resting heart rate and blood pressure
- Height and weight
- Girth measurements and body fat %
- Estimated vo2 max using a 3 minute step test
- Bicep curl strength
- Flexibility through a sit and reach test
- Muscular endurance
Fitness Assessment Guidelines
In order for the fitness assessment to be accurate we ask participants to follow the criteria listed below:
- Participants should refrain from ingesting food, alcohol, caffeine or tobacco products within 3 hours of testing.
- Participants should be rested for the assessment, avoiding significant exertion or exercise on the day of the assessment.
- Athletic attire should be worn for the assessment, including shoes and shorts. Shorts will allow for easy access to the mid thigh for the body fat testing.
- Drink plenty of fluids over the 24-hour period preceding the test to ensure normal
hydration levels on the day of testing.
- Participants should stay on their regular medication schedule so that the responses will be consistent with what will be expected during the training sessions.
Source: ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th Edition.
HPS 4200, Community Fitness Personal Training
The Campus Recreation @ Auraria personal training program offers personal training every fall and spring semester at a discounted price by working with students who are in HPS 4200, Community Fitness. The student trainers in Community Fitness are students in training who are majoring in the field of Adult Fitness. The students get academic credit for training one client one time per week in the personal training program. The cost for participating in the program as a client for the fall and spring semesters is $75.00 for students, faculty and staff. The length of the program will be approximately 10 weeks long starting in early October and ending in early December for fall semesters. For spring semesters, the program runs from late February or early March to early May. Participants will receive a free initial fitness assessment and a post re-assessment at the end of the semester. It is extremely important that those who choose to participate attend all training sessions with their student trainers.
Sign Up and Contact Information
How to sign up: initial consultation
Stop by room 108 in the PE building to complete a personal training contact information sheet. You will then be matched with a trainer that meets your availability and what you are looking for in a trainer. You will be contacted to set up an initial consultation when the personal training program has an opening that will work for your schedule. The 30-minute consultation will cover your medical history, goals, and interests and will be an opportunity for the client to ask questions regarding the personal training program and trainers. The client will be expected to purchase training sessions at the time of the initial consultation. You may also be required to get medical clearance prior to starting with the trainer.
What to Expect After Registering
- Session Duration - Each training session is 60 minutes long.
- Late Policy - Trainers are obligated to wait up to 15 minutes for a client to arrive past their scheduled start time. After 15 minutes, the trainer is allowed to leave and the client will be charged for the session. Sessions that start late will end one-hour from the scheduled start time.
- Cancellation Notice - 24 hour notice is required for any sessions that the client cannot attend. Failure to give appropriate notice will result in a lost session.
- Refund Policy - After a $15 processing fee is applied; the personal training client will be refunded on a prorated amount for the remaining sessions.
- Package Renewal - Sessions must be paid in full prior to starting in the personal training program. Additional sessions must be purchased at the time of completion of a personal training package. Sessions cannot be rendered without payment.
- Expiration Date - All personal training packages have an expiration date. You will be informed during your initial consultation of the date of expiration of your package.
- Medical Clearance - At any time during your training at Campus Recreation, if you have changes to your health, you may be required to get medical clearance before continuing in the program.
Personal Training Contact
For general information on the personal training program please contact:
Louie Morphew, Assistant Director
Personal Training Prices (PDF 179 KB)
Save by training with a friend. Community members, faculty, and staff will be required to purchase a fitness center membership in addition to the personal training package. All buddy sessions must be completed with your partner present. All packages include an initial fitness assessment. Participants can pay by cash, credit card, or check at the Campus Recreation @ Auraria front office, Room 108 in the PE building.
For more information please contact Louie Morphew, Assistant Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-556-3647.
Trainers are obligated to wait up to 15 minutes for a client to arrive past their scheduled start time. After 15 minutes, the trainer is allowed to leave and the client will be charged for the session. Sessions that start late will end one-hour from the scheduled start time.