Group Fitness at Campus Recreation
The Group Fitness program at Campus Recreation at Auraria provides many different and exciting ways to exercise in a group format. There is no registration necessary; just drop in and workout. Consult the schedule for a complete listing of class offerings as well as course descriptions.
For information regarding employment opportunities as a group fitness instructor or to apply for entrance in the group fitness mentoring program, please contact the main office at 303-556-3210.
Group Fitness classes are available to students at no additional charge - they are already paid for by your student fees.
Faculty, staff and alumni may participate with purchase of membership.
WINTER BREAK 2013 SCHEDULE ( 183 KB)
Summer 2013 Facility Schedule ( 212 KB)Classes Available
What to Bring:
- No registration or sign up necessary
- Wear comfortable workout clothing
- You MUST wear appropriate footwear for land classes such as tennis shoes or sneakers
- Water bottle recommended
- Please sign in upon arrival or before you leave
Improve cardiovascular endurance and overall fitness with an indoor cycling class that simulates outdoor terrain on our Schwinn bikes. This is a low impact, high intensity workout that provides a cardiovascular challenge while minimizing shock to the joints.
Cycle & Stretch
Using a traditional cycling class format, this workout incorporates high intensity, low impact, cardiovascular conditioning and is followed by full body stretching.
Cycle & Strength
After 30 minutes of a fun, traditional ride, we’ll jump off the bike and get our muscles working with great strength conditioning moves using a variety of equipment. The class will finish with a cleansing stretching portion!
This deep water, non-impact aerobic workout offers the same health benefits of a land class, but leaves out the stress and strain caused by floor impact.
This deep water, therapeutic class offers cardiovascular and muscular endurance training that will leave you feeling energized and refreshed!
Ripped in 30!
30 minutes is all you need to get a great workout! Using a variety of equipment, target every major muscle group in no time and head into your weekend feeling great.
This high level, high intensity cardio workout guarantees to challenge the fitness enthusiast. A variety of boxing moves will be utilized to elevate the heart rate and provide a total body workout!
Combine resistance training and high intensity aerobics to build strength as well as muscular endurance in this circuit inspired class. Fast-paced and fun, you are guaranteed to get a great total body workout every time!
Abs & Back +
Abs and Back Plus is a highly efficient, all-body workout that alternates abdominal/back and upper/lower body exercises to improve muscular strength, balance, and flexibility using stability calls, resistance bands, dyno-disks, foam rollers, weights, and the BOSU. Also incorporating Pilates and Yoga techniques, this class will refresh and energize you all the way to the core!
Zumba is a combination of international dance rhythms including: African, salsa, meringue, reggaeton and others, all mixed with dance and fitness exercise into awe-inspiring movements meant to engage and captivate for life! All levels welcome! ~ In collaboration with Healthy Moves at the Health Center at Auraria.
Open your mind and relax your body in this yoga inspired class that is sure to leave you feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. Join your instructor in a series of movements that challenges your flexibility and tests your strength.
Health Benefits Of Group Exercise
Exercise is a great way to feel better, have fun, and offers many health benefits. With group workouts you feel less pressure and have the chance to meet new people on campus!
The health benefits consistent exercise can offer are:
- Helps decrease health conditions and reduces your chance for disease
- Improves mood
- Boosts energy
- Promotes better sleep
- Helps control cholesterol
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke
- Increased flexibility
- Decreases the chance for osteoporosis
- Relieves stress and anxiety
10 healthy choices to live a better life:
- Get 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity per week
- Strength train at least 2 days per week
- Get 8 hours of sleep per night
- Try breathing deeply to reduce stress
- Make healthy food choices and eat a well balanced diet
- Ride your bike or walk to school
- Prepare meals ahead of time so eating healthy is convenient
- Take group classes to stay motivated
- Take time to be healthy
- Find a good balance between work and play
- Drink 8-8oz glasses of water per day
- USDA: myplate.gov----- Nutritional guidelines
- ACSM: ACSM.org--------Physical guidelines
- Mayoclinic.com----------Health and fitness articles, 10 stress relievers