Alternative Licensure Program Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education Concentration (ALP SED MAT)
Candidates who have a SOE in special education and are teaching special education may be eligible to take graduate courses. These candidates must meet the ALP requirements AND the ALP SED MAT graduate admissions requirements below.
Candidates who meet the ALP requirements and are teaching special education, but do not want to take graduate courses and/or do not meet the graduate admissions requirements may enroll in ALP SED (licensure only).
Candidates who meet the ALP requirements, but are NOT teaching special education are not eligible for graduate courses.
Alternative Licensure Program Special Education Concentration Master of Arts in Teaching (ALP SED MAT) Admission Requirements:
- Statement of Eligibility (SOE) in special education
- Full time special education teaching job
- Graduate admissions application and $50 fee (found in the Enroll section). Do not submit the graduate application found on the admissions web site.
- Official baccalaureate transcripts from all colleges/universities. All official transcripts must be sent from the college/ university directly to Metro South.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Copy of vita or resume
- One-to-two page typed personal statement in support of application, explaining decision to become an educator
- Recommendation letter from previous education faculty
- Passing score on the PLACE or Praxis II Elementary Education Content Area Exam
- International students need to submit TOEFL scores of 540 (or a score of 76 on the Internet version of the TOEFL).
- $100 deposit
IMPORTANT: All ALP SED candidates interested in applying for the MAT need to follow the ALP SED MAT directions, found in the Enroll section, not the MAT directions on the Teacher Education web site. All ALP SED MAT admissions documents, except TOEFL scores, must be submitted to the MSU Denver South Campus. Complete directions can be found in the Enroll section. Do not apply online or send your application & transcripts to the Admissions Office. Do not send your personal statement, vita or resume and/or recommendation letter to the Teacher Education Office. If documents are sent to the incorrect office, the ALP SED candidate may become ineligible for ALP SED MAT.
Students who begin ALP SED MAT may not transfer to the traditional MAT Special Education program and students who have begun the traditional MAT Special Education program may not transfer to ALP SED MAT.